Monday, August 11, 2008

Camping

So we randomly decided to go camping last Saturday night...we packed up the car, hit the road and ended up at Wasatch Mountain State Park in Midway. I love this campground, first of all because it has actual bathrooms with sinks and flushing toilets (the whole squatting thing doesn't really make me happy), and also because each campsite has a fire pit, BBQ grill, picnic table, and the tent pad has sand instead of dirt, so you can enjoy a nice meal (we had tinfoil dinners) and then you don't have to worry about your back getting poked by rocks when you sleep. It's really good times.

Once we got there, Jacob started a fire (notice the rather large container of lighter fluid on the table haha) as I prepared to set up the tent.

However, after I'd laid out the tarps and grabbed the tent, I realized that we had failed to bring the tent poles with us (in fact, since the move I have no idea where they even are, because they weren't by the tent...). Yeah, we had the tent, but no poles. BRILLIANT. We had managed to remember to bring our air mattress (YES, we sleep on a full-on queen-sized air mattress when we camp...that was my idea), so we decided we'd go ahead and sleep under the stars...here's where we were going to sleep...

But then we looked at the sky...

...and since I'm really not too keen on getting wet when I sleep, here's where we actually ended up sleeping...


It was a good thing too, because it rained. And you know, surprisingly enough, sleeping in the back of our car wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I could actually fully extend my legs (Jacob had to sleep diagonally), and even though it was a little bit hard on my back, thanks to my pillow (Jacob didn't bring one and apparently I don't like to share mine once I'm asleep, so he was a bit grumpy about that) I was pretty comfortable. In fact, the morning clean up was so easy (our least favorite part of camping is taking down the tent in the morning...) and fast, that I think we'll probably do the whole car camping thing again. NICE.
For the evening's festivities, we didn't do much other than sit by the fire, munch on snacks and talk. It was really relaxing.
Haha we also tried to make some Jiffy Pop...but we were highly unsuccessful (as have been previous attempts at making the stuff while camping). This is what happened when we tried to cook it over the fire...
And here's what we ended up with. Not a salvageable piece in there. We were pretty entertained by it though, being the pyros that we are. :-)


So all in all it was a good trip, burned popcorn and all. Although I won't lie, I was really happy to get back to sleeping in my own soft, extremely comfortable bed last night...

3 comments:

Jennifer Bowman said...

that looks like so much fun!

kajsia mccoy said...

you guys are so crazy.

Anonymous said...

LOL -- you are MUCH better campers than me...mostly because I don't camp. My friend asked me if I wanted to go camping this weekend with the kids...and I must have given her the dumbest look ever because she was like "okay okay!"

I love the idea of camping in the car though....plus I just love your car. :)

I have the weekend off....wanna come over and paint?