Friday, June 13, 2008

Ouch.

I don't know why I seem to have such a problem with wearing sunscreen. I just hate it...I always have, and quite possibly always will. I remember hot summer days when my siblings and I were getting ready to go play in our $10 kiddie pool. We'd be ready to go outside and my mother...being the responsible parent she is...would always make us wait to go outside until she had slathered us in the stuff. It seemed to take forever, and all I wanted to do was go outside to play. But I don't think that's a very good reason to hate sunscreen.

So today my loving husband decided it would be an excellent day to go hiking. I've been promising him for a while that I'd go with him, so off we went. And he was right, it was a great day...there wasn't a cloud in the sky, it wasn't too hot, and there was a nice cool breeze in the air.

Anyway, we drove up the Squaw Peak Road...parked the car and headed off on the trail. Jacob told me to put on sunscreen or I'd get burned, to which I replied, "No I won't." I mean, it's not like we were gonna be outside all day. But...I am NOT in as good of shape as I used to be, and the hike took a good 45 minutes longer than I'd anticipated (I'm still not convinced that the trail has always been that steep...could've sworn it was a lot more gradual last time). Don't get me wrong, the scenery and the view was gorgeous...and I was a total dummy and forgot to bring the camera. We did take one picture on Jacob's cell phone...

Um, yes...it's lovely. Notice how I'm the one wearing the camelback with all the water while Jacob just wore the shirt on his back (although in defense of Jacob, he did give me that camelback as a present, and it's really nice...I barely noticed the extra weight).

ANYHOO, we hiked and we hiked...and after we got back to the car Jacob told me I was burned and I said, "No I'm not." He laughed and told me that I really was and I said, "No I'm really not." We got home and my shoulders were a little red...so I conceded and said, "Ok, maybe I got a little burned."

And then we went to work, and I began to feel really warm. Now I've been here for 5 or so hours, and my face, arms and neck are REALLY pink. Dangit. I totally got burned. Everyone here keeps asking me why I didn't wear sunscreen and I keep telling them it's because I hate it. Then they mostly shake their heads and walk away. Maybe one day I'll follow the advice of my husband and actually put the stuff on.

Although for the record, Jacob didn't wear any sunscreen either, and he's burned too. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh -- I hate sunburns. It is the reason why I haven't been tanning yet this year (though I could blind someone with my legs...I REALLY need to go).

I hope you get feeling better quickly....at least you have Jacob to suffer with.

Misery loves company....

Petey said...

Good hell I'm so jealous! I haven't been hiking this season yet and it is KILLING me (not softly, nor strumming my pain with his fingers). So jealous. Sunburn and all.

Jennifer Bowman said...

LOL poor JUlie! I hate sunburns but I also hate sunscreen too...quite the predicament! hehe