Friday, October 10, 2008

5 Years...


5 Years ago today I married my awesome hubby. Our marriage has had its share of ups and downs but when I look back at our journey, I can honestly say I am so happy I married him. In honor of our 5 year mark, I'll take a cue from my sweet friend Jen and share how we met.

So, in January 2003 I had finally moved out of my parents' house and into an apartment with my friend Tiffany. I had absolutely no intention of finding a spouse--in fact, I had complained to my mom on several occasions that I didn't want to move out because I'd just meet someone and get married and I wasn't ready for that. I had decided to go back to school at UVSC after taking a year hiatus, and I really didn't want any distractions (especially since I had enrolled in my first math class in 6 years...BLAH!).

One cold morning I was walking to school (my apartment was really close) and noticed a boy walking not too far from me. I couldn't really tell if he was cute or not since he was bundled up in a coat and hat, but I was drawn to him anyway. He slowly got closer and politely asked, "Do you know where the science building is?" I directed him and we made some small talk about how it was really cold and what not, and then we went our separate ways to class. A few days later I was walking home from class, and passed him on the way--I said a friendly "Hello" and he opened his mouth as if to say something, but I guess he changed his mind cuz he just kept going (he swears this never happened, but I have it documented in my journal...haha).

I began to see him a lot more--I realized he was in my ward and lived in my same complex. However, I didn't have the courage to talk to him since he hadn't answered me that one day (I know, stupid huh?) so I thought there was no way he'd be interested. Then one day in church Tiffany turned to me and whispered, "I found your next boyfriend." I asked who, and she pointed at Jacob. I asked how she knew and she replied, "I just have a vibe about him." Since we didn't know his name, from then on we called him Vibe Boy.

At this point the whole Vibe Boy thing was just a joke between myself and my roommates; I continued to see him around but never felt like there was a good opportunity to talk to him. One night after my evening PE class, I arrived at the complex at the same time he did and I thought, "Yes, this is it!" Unfortunately, I couldn't get the girl who gave me a ride home to shut up, so by the time I started walking into the building, he was well ahead of me and reached his apartment by the time I could catch up. However, he did turn around and look at me just before he walked in the door, so that gave me some hope.

My co-worker and good friend Cami had heard every detail of my Vibe Boy saga, and after hearing about my close encounter with making verbal contact, she made a bet with me...it was a Friday, and I had until Monday morning to find out Vibe Boy's name or I owed her a bag of Snickers bars. I left work that day determined and feeling confident. However, I didn't see him on Saturday and by Sunday I was really nervous--I knew it would have to be in Sunday school or not at all. I sat there, not paying any attention while I tried to hash out a game plan. At one point I decided to go get a drink. After I sat back down in my chair, Tiffany whispered to me to turn around--I did, and Vibe Boy was staring at me. Once he noticed I saw him looking, he dropped his head and stared at the floor.

Believe it or not, this gave me the confidence I needed to talk to him. I walked right up to him after the lesson was over, asked his name and we made plans to hang out that same day. He came over to my apartment that night, and we've been completely inseparable ever since. We got married 7 months later, and 5 years later I'm thrilled to report that we are happy as ever. So here's to you Jacob, I love you!!!!

3 comments:

kajsia mccoy said...

you are such Lovers. i like you. I mean both of you.

Anonymous said...

AWE!! I'm a day or two late commenting...but Happy Anniversary anyway!! I SO remember when Jacob was "vibe" boy.....that was so dang funny! I'm glad it turned into the real thing for you -- both of you.

awesome pics -- love you both!

Jennifer Bowman said...

Love that you did this post! Congrats on 5 years! Totally remember you BOTH in my singles ward...how random is that that we were in the same ward...too funny!