Sunday, April 19, 2009

Thieves are Jerks

So I woke up this morning, gave some attention to my cats, and logged into the computer to check my e-mail/facebook/blog/etc. I was browsing through the facebook updates of my friends, and saw that Jacob had updated his status to say this:

"Jacob Hodgen got to practice his tough guy technique tonight after catching someone trying to steal out of his car: yell, grab, slam, frisk, spin, threaten, slap, send packing with tail between legs."

To which I promptly replied,

"WHAT?"

And then proceeded to call Jacob as he had not come home from work yet (graveyard shifts are fun). I guess last night as Jacob was leaving for work (1:30am approximately), one of the couples that lives here was out smoking w/a friend--they have to do it in the parking lot b/c smoking isn't allowed in the apartments or within 25 feet of them (which I love). So they finished smoking, said goodbye to their friend...then headed back to their apartment and the friend went to his car which was parked next to ours. Mind you, Jacob was about 20 feet behind him. I guess the guy looked over and saw that our car was unlocked...

Ok, I need to interject here, this is our Thunderbird, which is really old and rapidly turning into a big pile of crap. For some reason, the unlock mechanism is all screwed up so the only way to unlock the doors is with a keyfob, which has a dead battery so we've just been leaving the doors unlocked (we learned to do that after having to call a locksmith to unlock it about 2 or 3 times...). So that's why it was unlocked. We will remedy the keyfob situation first thing tomorrow.

...so he opened the door and start digging around in our car. What the hell. Then my husband, being the "I know karate and I'm always looking for ways to use it" guy that he is, yelled "HEY! What do you think you're doing (Uh--there may have been a few more choice words in there...just a few...)??" Our thieving friend, knowing he was caught, immediately insisted he didn't take anything. Jacob then grabbed him and threw him against his car and proceded to frisk him, full on cop-style. He emptied his pockets and after finding that he had not actually stolen anything, told him to get out of there and stop trying to steal our stuff, then he smacked him across the face and let him go. At which point the little jerk hurried into his car and drove away, tail between his legs.

I'm pretty disgusted that someone would try to steal things just because it's easy, but I know it happens all the time so I should just get over it and be more careful. Stupid little punk. At least my husband's awesome like that (and very pleased with himself). :-)

1 comment:

wisp said...

I have to say that was some bitchin' badassery on Jacob's part. Well done!