Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Not a super happy update, but an update nonetheless...

I'm getting a wee bit tired of talking about this (it's only been a day but word travels fast), so I decided to blog about it so I don't have to keep telling the story.

Yesterday I went to the doctor for what I thought would be a routine visit...it had been 4 weeks since my last ultrasound so they did another one to check on the twins. Baby B has always measured smaller than Baby A (who is measuring right on track and has been the entire pregnancy), but apparently his rate of growth has slowed down quite a bit as of late and now he's measuring too small...as in, 25-30% smaller than he should be. The doctor very calmly told me that he was sending me to the hospital for a non-stress test (that's not out of the ordinary, most every pregnant woman gets to do those) and making me an appointment with the perinatologist to have him check on the situation. I did my best not to freak out as I waited for the appointments to be made, then I drove myself to the hospital (Jacob was working...I didn't want to ask him to leave as I wasn't sure exactly what was going on yet).

Once I got to the hospital, they took me back to labor & delivery where the nurse hooked me up to monitors for both the babies' heartbeats and another one for contractions. As I watched the printout from the machine, the nurse pointed out to me that I was having contractions...which took me by surprise, because I'd never felt anything that even closely resembled a contraction. But then a few minutes later the nurse became concerned b/c they were 4 minutes apart and seemed to be increasing in strength. Weird, right? She brought me some water and OJ in case they were being caused by dehydration. That didn't seem to change anything, and the contractions actually got strong enough that I was able to feel and start to become fairly uncomfortable by them. She then called my doctor, who had her give me a shot of something or other...and that stopped the contractions, thank goodness. Then she gave me a fetal fibronectin test, which (for those of you who don't know) was basically to determine whether or not I was in ACTUAL labor. She also checked my cervix, turns out I'm dilated to just over a 2...which isn't too big of a deal, a lot of women will dilate a little bit and walk around that way for weeks before they go into actual labor. But it was still pretty surprising to me.

Fortunately, the FFN test came back negative, but they were concerned because Baby B's heart rate wasn't being QUITE as consistent as they would have liked...it was dipping a little low from time to time. So they sent me to radiology for another ultrasound to check the fluid around the babies. Baby A has a good amount of fluid, of course, and while Baby B has what's considered to be a "normal" amount of fluid, he's on the low end of normal which is also cause for concern.

Anyway, after that I went back to L&D where they called my doctor again, and he said I was free to leave but to be sure to not miss my appointment w/the perinatologist (who is only in the hospital on Wednesdays, so I didn't see him yesterday). All in all I was in the hospital for 4 hours...FUN.

I went to work, but needless to say I was kind of a wreck so my boss was nice enough to let me go home...which was better than being at work, but still not awesome because it was a very worrisome day and I was going to be upset no matter where I was. I must say, if I'm this worried about my kids before they're even born, I can't imagine what the worry will be like once they're actually here. I might be kinda screwed.

Anyhoo, fast forward to today...after a night of basically no sleep, I headed over to the hospital for my appointment with the perinatologist. Jacob was able to join me this time, which was nice. Once they called us back, the ultrasound tech gave me the most detailed ultrasound I've had to date...she measured practically EVERYTHING on the babies (that's not a complaint), and then the doctor came in and measured the few things she hadn't. He didn't seem overly alarmed, but was very adamant that I be on alert for any decrease in activity (done and done), and now I get to go to the hospital a few times a week for more non-stress tests, I'm to see my gyno every week (which they wanted me to do anyway), and then see the perinatologist again in 2 weeks. He also said the boys will need to be delivered no later than 36 weeks (I'll hit the 36 week mark 3 weeks from tomorrow, in case anyone was wondering), unless they find something else that gives them cause for alarm, in which case they'll probably deliver the boys even earlier.

Soooooo...that is the most current update I have. I'm feeling slightly less panicked, but it's still not a happy situation, obviously. I'm super grateful that they're monitoring me so closely (although I have a feeling I'm going to be REALLY sick of the hospital by the time this is all said and done), and my brain tells me everything is going to work out fine. Once I can convince my heart of that, we'll be good to go. I know it sounds cliche, but HONESTLY, all I want is for both of my boys to be healthy and happy.

I'll keep you all posted.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah dear sweet sister! What an ordeal you have been through! I know it is scary thinking that anything is or might be going wrong...but at least you are in good hands (excellent if your insurance allowed you to come over here....but still).

I know your babies will be okay. You are right to follow your gutt...it will not let you down. You are their mother and are blessed even now with intuition regarding their wellbeing.

36 weeks is early....but realistically, not too early. Even if your smaller boy needs some extra help at first....I know he will be okay. If nothing else you can rest assured that you have a sister and bro in law who are nurses at your 24hr disposal!

Take courage. You are almost there! I can't wait to meet my new little nephews! I bought their presents today....can't wait to show you!!

Laura said...

Julie! I'm sorry! I'm here to help! Anything you need and I'm there. Meals? Cleaning? Rides? Moral support? I'm there. And I fully support what Maureen said. You will be ok. The boys will be ok. You have lots of friends and family to help you. And they could share my birthday!!

I can't wait to see you at the shower on Saturday!

Good vibes your way.

Jennifer Bowman said...

Oh Julie! I will pray for you! Everything will be alright, it sounds like you have great drs checking the babies very closely.

I wish I could make it to your shower this weekend, Scott has a basketball game to ref so I don't have a sitter for my kids. :(

I have a little something for your boys and would love to get together sometime though!


Good luck, I cannot wait to see your TWO little ones!!

wisp said...

I'm so sorry this is happening! =( I wish I could be there to help you through everything. *hugs* I know you're probably freaked out, but just keep breathing and try to stay positive. I know nothing about pregnancy or babies... sorry. :( But, I do know that Neil Patrick Harris will be on Ellen today! =D (At least that might cheer you up a little... lol) Part of me is always with you, k? *hugs again* Call me if you want to talk. About anything at all. I guarantee I'll make you at least smile, if not laugh. ;)

LyndiLou said...

You're such a trooper Mom already Julie! You're not screwed, you're on your way to being even awesome-er. (It's a word... I'm pretty sure of it!)

I'm excited that you're so far along... I'm either a lousy friend and didn't keep track of the time flying by, or time is just flying by! It's probably both. I'm rEEEally excited for you!

If you think it would help you to feel better about everything, you could take my Mom's HypnoBirthing class. It's all about being more comfortable with birth, making informed decision and feeling calm. You don't have to do it natural, or be anti-hospital to take HB... you just have to want to be more informed! ;) Like I said, if you think that would help, I could get you my Mom's class info.

You are going to be a fantastic Mom... you already are. You're doing a great job keeping those little guys safe and healthy already. Keep it up my dear, you're the best!

Cajsa said...

thanks for the update. can't believe they'll be here so soon!! let me know when you've scheduled in my diaper duty week, I am so there. can't wait to see them; you and Mr. J are going to be such awesome parents, I can't wait to see that too!! hang in there, you're incredibly brave. love you!