Friday, September 19, 2008

I've never seen one before...

...in the wild...

Because I live so conveniently close to the "Y" trail and the rim trail, I have been doing a LOT of hiking--I hike one of them every day. While doing so, I usually see a lot of squirrels, even more grasshoppers, the occasional deer and if I'm really lucky, a fox.

But the other day while hiking the rim trail with Jacob, his sister and her husband, we stumbled across THIS:


DISGUSTING (I'm sure most of you are aware of my HUGE aversion to arachnids, especially those of the very large and hairy variety). It was friggin' right in the middle of the trail! I know it's hard to tell how big it is from the picture, and for the life of me I wish the video we took of it (we only had our cell phones w/us--of all days to not bring the camera, geeez!) had survived so you could see Jacob putting his hand in close proximity to it to illustrate how huge it was because seriously, it was gigantic. But alas, I thought I saved it but I must have failed to do so as it is nowhere to be found. Anyway...

I didn't even know we had tarantulas in Utah. Ew ew ew ew ew ew--I still go hiking every day (I even hiked the rim trail just yesterday) but I can tell you that my eyes are a LOT more alert now, and I really hope I never run into one of these guys again. Well, at least not by myself...

6 comments:

kajsia mccoy said...

my spidey sense if going off.

kajsia mccoy said...

i meant is going off... not it.

kajsia mccoy said...

if. forget it.

Anonymous said...

Kajsia is having grammar issues...use "preview" little sis!

Even from the pic...I can tell that thing is HUGE!! I am not a big spider fan...I can deal (but why do it when you don't have to??) I think Jeremy would have seriously freaked out....usually I'm the one to kill spiders around her...unless they are on the ceiling or something.

Oh and you hike EVERY DAY??? That is so awesome...you are seriously in MUCH better shape than I am...not that it takes much these days....see new blog!!

Petey said...

oh spider... good times, particularly large hairy ones. we watched some documentary the other week on rare spiders (like some albino one in south america that lives in caves and has no eyes) and it pretty much creeped amanda and will out.

good times.

Jennifer Bowman said...

ewww nastiness...I HATE HATE Spiders too!!! aghhh
We should get together!