Friday, May 15, 2009

Murderous Mayhem

Do you ever have one of those nights where you're extremely tired but not sleepy? That seems to be me at the moment. Although it's rapidly turning into a serious case of night-drunkeness. Yes.
DISCLAIMER: I am having a random night, so I apologize if any of this is disconnected or doesn't make sense. We'll see how this goes. Right-o.
So...Saturday we had the privilege of being invited to an amazingly entertaining murder mystery dinner, set in the 1930s. And did you know that if you procrastinate getting a costume until the last minute, you will have to buy the first thing you find at DI to match the fabulous hat you had your eye on at the costume store? I can tell you this is true. Also if anyone would like some fake cigarettes I will gladly provide them to you. They puff, but apparently only when nobody's watching.
ANYWAY, I would like to say that my friend Peter is a genius when it comes to writing murder mysteries. That's right friends, this wasn't out of some box you'd buy at the same place people go to play Dungeons and Dragons, this is 100% original. A couple years ago he wrote one w/a Batman theme, and it wasn't just a dinner--it was a dinner, a sleepover, AND a breakfast...and there was a wake complete w/a coffin. Yes. So this one he wrote was set in the 1930s, and we were all Hollywood figures involved in a movie starring Mae East, who was unfortunately was murdered by someone at the party. I was Anise Rogers, an AMAZING choreographer (I know, it's hilarious b/c I totally can't dance and don't have anything even remotely close to a dancer's body...haha) and Jacob was Edward Courier, screenwriter (yeah yeah, that one fits).
Ok so I'd like to interject here that I was nervous about actually PLAYING the game, because for the Batman one Jacob and I were the moderators--meaning we were there to answer questions and stage the events to keep the plot rolling. Plus I got to videotape a lot of it, which is always fun.
Once we all arrived, we were each given an envelope to give us more information on who we were and the information we knew--plus a set of objectives to be accomplished by the end of the evening. So I opened mine and I'm reading through it and then I realize that I'm one of the murderers (yes, there were actually 2 of us...the other one being Jimmy, the film editor)...DUN DUN DUN. I was so excited, seriously. So yeah, after we'd all read up on ourselves, we were set loose to try to meet our objectives. Mainly we all just walked around in groups of 2 or 3 and tried to get information out of each other...and Jimmy and I did our best to cover up our crime and place the blame on others. We had some dinner (with the most amazing blueberry bread pudding ever--go Peter, go) and then the real craziness started. Some of us (myself included) were buying drugs, some were running underground sex clubs (um, you know this is just pretend, right?), and there were affairs and cheating and lies and it was such good fun. Which doesn't sound like good fun when I put it that way, but I'm going to go ahead and blame that on the whole night drunk thing. Yup.
So, being that we were murderers, Jimmy and I had the wonderful opportunity to each "kill" one of the other characters in the last hour of the game. I picked Edward (who was Jacob), because I had just sold him Mae's will and I needed to get it back before it changed hands (when you kill someone you get all their stuff, which was also nice b/c Edward had made a lot of money selling drugs so I ended up being rich too). He was not pleased when he found out I killed him haha. But a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Jimmy picked Eden (who was my friend Cajsa) because we wanted to frame her boyfriend Rhett, who was actually a closet homosexual. Hey, he had a good motive.
And after all that--I'm happy to report that we were able to successfully meet our objectives and nobody figured out who did it. Well, there were some suspicions it was Jimmy (and a couple people snagged his envelope and read that he was the murderer, but I don't count them since they didn't figure it out by themselves) but nobody figured it was me too. Yes, I'm quite proud of myself.
Ok kids. It's 3:15am and I am definitely sleepy now. I probably left stuff out, which I hate to do because it deserves a better description. Sorry. Enjoy the pictures haha.


We are so hot. My coat totally makes me look fat but I don't even care, it was awesome.

What are we doing? I don't even know. But this is me, Peter, and Cajsa. We're crazy, apparently.


Jacob right after I killed him and took all his money. Poor guy...

And here's...some of us.

2 comments:

kajsia mccoy said...

i want to run an underground sex club called naughty kitties.

Curious Works said...

what a fun party, and your ensemble was awesome!