Friday, April 16, 2010

STUPID people

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday. I parked the car, started walking towards the store and noticed a man and a little boy walking in front of me...the kid couldn't have been older than 2 or 3. The man seemed to be in a hurry, and was repeatedly scolding the child for not keeping up with him, to which said child responded, "Daddy my legs are tired!" So the man irritatedly picked him up. My blood started to heat up a bit...but whatever, right? We both grabbed a cart, and the man proceeded to try to put the boy into the child's seat and when his legs didn't go in the right way the first time, he said, "Look at what you're doing, you little shithead!"

My blood went from slightly warm to intensely boiling.

Those of you who know me are aware that I am not super awesome at hiding how I feel about things. So naturally I shot him the most malevolent stinkeye I could muster and as I walked past I muttered, "Nice going Dad...real nice." He gave me a look that said, "You don't know what it's like, you don't have a kid to inconvenience you at the grocery store."

Ok...he probably wasn't thinking that. He was probably thinking of some more colorful language. But that's what it seemed like to me.

Moving on...as I maneuvered my cart through the toilet paper aisle (which was actually the sole reason I was there, but since I bothered to go I figured I should probably pick up the rest of the stuff on the grocery list, despite the fact that it was in no way as urgent as the toilet paper), I'm pretty sure people were wondering who peed in my Cheerios because again...*points to self*...not good at hiding emotions.

Seriously though, it's stuff like that which makes this infertility business especially hard for me. I'm able to deal with being the only one of my married friends without kids, I'm able to deal with people asking me why I don't have kids and thinking that it's because I'm selfish or a bad person (see previous "Cheesy Moment" post), I'm able to deal with my friends working on babies #2 and #3 while I'm still desperately working on baby #1 (and I'm even genuinely happy for them!)...but this kind of thing, no....no. I try not to judge...I know that if I am ever lucky enough to have children of my own I will not be a perfect parent, and I know that sometimes your kids can work your last nerve until the patience which was previously hanging by a thread is totally gone...but I would never say something like that to a child. I don't think most parents do. But I see that, and it's like..."Dear Universe, what the hell??? That douchebag is a father and I got nothing???? You suck...and I kinda hate you."

But...of course, life isn't fair. I've been hearing that since I was little (thanks Mom and Dad...oh, and thanks for not swearing at me and calling me derogatory names). I just hope that...WHEN I'm a mom (go, positive thinking!), I will ALWAYS remember how precious of a gift it is to have kids (which will in turn lead to me not being a jerk to them, even if I am in a hurry at the grocery store)...

...I'm pretty sure I will.


4 comments:

wisp said...

That kind of stuff really bothers me, too. Every time I see it, I think how that child could have gone to parents that want children and would love them. I also want to kick the offending parent. I'm glad you let him know he wasn't quite optimal in his parenting skills. Maybe someday things will be less fair to the dumbasses and more fair to the good people.

Jennifer Bowman said...

Ugh that makes me sick. People like that shouldn't be allowed to have kids...when I see and hear stuff like that all I can think of is - if he says that in PUBLIC then what goes on in PRIVATE?? Makes me sick.

Praying for you that your baby comes soon! :)

kajsia mccoy said...

meow. Cats always know best. and parents sometimes do not.

LyndiLou said...

Freaking days. That gets me all annoyed and I wasn't even there. I know the situation you're talking about though... where your heart pounds and you start to get really upset. UG! I'm sorry you had to deal with him... and more sorry for the ugly feelings that kind of thing kicks up. *hugs*