Thursday, July 3, 2008

AWESOME.

Anyone who knows me knows that listening to music is to me as breathing air is to the human race...yeah, it's that important. If I had more money, I'd travel the country and the world attending concerts of my favorite vocalists and bands. Being in Utah doesn't always allow for the best selection of concerts, and unfortunately I don't have the funds to travel to LA or NYC to see all the artists I like. However, last night I think Kajsia (my sister) and I totally hit the jackpot...because we got to attend a concert of one of our most (if not THE MOST) favorite bands EVER...

...that's right...The Veronicas. Now, I know most of you are thinking...who in the WORLD are The Veronicas? Well, they're identical twins from Australia who happen to both sing really well, and who write music that's TOTALLY Julie and Kajsia-friendly. Kajsia somehow discovered them one day, and she then converted me...and now we're on a mission to convert the world. Ok, just kidding...but I DO have links to a couple of their songs on my blog, you know, in case you're interested (hint hint...).

Anyway, these girls are HUGE in Australia, have won all sorts of awards and pretty much every show they do over there sells out in minutes. However, they're basically unknown over here in the states...which means they don't perform here much, and DEFINITELY not in Utah.

So, we discovered that they're currently on tour w/Natasha Bedingfield right now, and originally Kajsia and I were going to drive out to San Diego to see them this weekend, but we learned they'd added a show last minute in SLC...and NOT ONLY would it be closer to home, but they were headlining. How lucky is that???

Anyway, the venue was called Kilby Court...I'd never heard of it before, and it took a really long time to find...not because it was in a tricky location, but merely because instead of a club or a commercial-looking building, it was literally someone's garage. I'm not even exaggerating on that one. It was a garage with a stage in one of the corners. There were at most 75 people...we all squished in there and fought for the standing room by the A/C. I had my doubts about whether or not it would be enjoyable. The first band kinda sucked, and I was REALLY annoyed by a couple of immature guys standing in front of us (seriously guys...girls do NOT think you're cool when you dance around like an idiot to songs you don't even know, or like...just CHILL and let those of us who are there because we actually KNOW what's going on enjoy it, ok???), but as soon as The Veronicas came on stage and started singing...it was all good, baby.

No, this is not a picture from the concert last night...there were WAY too many tall people in front of me, and as much as I tried I just couldn't get a good shot of them (not to mention they're really short, we could only see them from their shoulders up). But yeah, seriously...there's something about attending a concert that intimate that I find so enjoyable. I mean, yeah, the venue was not that impressive and yeah, we were surrounded by super annoying high school kids...but at the same time...we were less than 10 feet from these performers we've idolized for so long. We knew all the songs and they seemed genuinely impressed that these weirdo Utah people even knew who they are (and Kajsia swears they smiled at her during one of the songs...I'm pretty sure I made eye contact w/one of them too but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part)...it was just awesome. Kajsia and I spent the entire ride home talking about them like we were friends or something. I know, we're total dorks...

...and just the fact that I'm actually writing a big huge blog about this is very indicative of just how incredibly dorky I actually am. But I don't care. It was amazing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow -- you and Kajsia went without me? j/k. I can tell you both loved it.

I am going to have to either steal and burn your cd's or download them from itunes.

Either way...glad your "garage" concert was a winner!

kajsia mccoy said...

we are cool.