Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Cross-Country Skiers Are Nuts

So...I really do hate snow, winter and being wet and cold. However, I guess because I have a newfound love of sledding (see previous post), Jacob thought it would be awesome to go cross-country skiing. I wasn't horribly thrilled with the idea, but I do try to be open to trying new things, so I gave a hesitant thumbs up...and the experience was...well, I just don't understand what people think is so fun about it. Maybe it would have been better if my boots hadn't been too small (Jacob's sister and her hubby, who came with us, were kind enough to pick up the skis so I wasn't able to try them on beforehand)...my size 6 felt more like a size 4 (now I have these awesomely huge blisters on my heels). Maybe it would have been better if I was more coordinated: skiing uphill, fine...skiing on level ground, great...skiing downhill, not so much. Or maybe I should have paid attention to the sign...

I didn't feel like we were in any danger b/c of the conditions, I just felt more like I was a complete hazard to myself. Yeah. And despite my best efforts to stay like this...

...once we started going downhill, I spent most of my time like this...

Yeah, I eventually unclipped my skis and walked the rest of the way down. It's not the repeated falling that's so bad, it's getting back upright with two very lengthy sticks strapped to your feet that I found to be so incredibly frustrating. So I think I'll stick with sledding (as long as there's a 4-wheeler nearby).

4 comments:

kajsia mccoy said...

you guys are so adventurous. The only thing i have done is fall on the ice. and that was just embarrassing. I think now it's time to do something that is actually fun....

Anonymous said...

I second Kajsia...never been too coordinated with the winter sports thing. Jeremy is a great skiier...but he has been kind enough to keep me out of those adventures....so far.

Yet, I commend you for at least trying it. :) Makes me want to go ice skating. Or not.

Petey said...

Downhill skiing in cross country skis isn't all that fun. Since they're not made for that sort of thing. (been there, done that)

You'll have far more fun skiing on regular skis on a slope. You and jacob should go with me sometime... :)

wisp said...

Size six?!? ... I'm a little sad now.
;)